Discussing the current status of .buildinfo files
build info craziness
- Limitations Debian implem of build info
- no checksum of dependencies in build info, deb limitation: #802241 (debian bug)
- no checksum of the source code.
- no architecture of the installed dependencies (e.g arm installed on x86_64, cross-compilation, multi arch binaries, …)
- no actual specification of build info, only a man page of the debian implementation
- other implementation: archlinux, OBS (open build service – openSUSE). Need to follow-up on openSUSE buildenv.
- man pages missing some information
- Lot of things called build info but not necessary build info.
- what is debian specific in build info?
- None of the field is debian specific
- But format might be
- do we want to have a single format for all distribution?
- Not essential…
- But ease the adoption of repro build: easier to compare, easier to share tooling, …
- Maybe they want to use something that feel native to them
- Build info specification on the debian wiki
- Do we need to have a repro-build level specification? (in https://reproducible-build.org/specs)
We narrowly avoided an argument about csh
- Build info file for ISO distribution, what format would that be?
- A separate topic that other people might want to discuss? Not a topic for us now.
Follow us on Twitter @ReproBuilds, Mastodon @firstname.lastname@example.org & Reddit and please consider making a donation. • Content licensed under CC BY-SA 4.0, style licensed under MIT. Templates and styles based on the Tor Styleguide. Logos and trademarks belong to their respective owners. • Patches for this website welcome via our Git repository (instructions) or via our mailing list. • Full contact info