Here’s what happened in the Reproducible Builds effort between Sunday April 9 and Saturday April 15 2017:
On April 26th Chris Lamb will give a talk at foss-north 2017 in Gothenburg, Sweden on Reproducible Builds.
Jake Edge wrote a summary of Vagrant Cascadian’s talk on Reproducible Builds at LibrePlanet.
Toolchain development and fixes
Ximin Luo forwarded patches to
With this patch to backported to GCC-6, as well as a patched dpkg to set the environment variable, he scheduled ~3,300 packages that are unreproducible in unstable-amd64 but reproducible in testing-amd64 - because we vary the build path in the former but not latter case. Our infrastructure ran these in just under 3 days, and we reproduced ~1,700 extra packages.
This is about 6.5% of ~26,100 Debian source packages, and about 1/2 of the ones whose unreproducibility is due to build-path issues. Most of the rest are not related to GCC, such as things built by R, OCaml, Erlang, LLVM, PDF IDs, etc.
(The dip afterwards, in the graph linked above, is due to reverting back to an unpatched GCC-6, but we’ll be rebasing the patch continually over the next few weeks so the graph should stay up.)
Packages reviewed and fixed, and bugs filed
- #860200 filed against poti, forwarded upstream.
- #860201 filed against sunpinyin, forwarded upstream.
- #860203 filed against avifile.
- #860211 filed against qtractor.
- #860212 filed against samplv1.
- #860213 filed against drumkv1.
- #860214 filed against synthv1.
- #860218 filed against templayer.
- #860266 filed against miniupnpd, forwarded upstream.
- #860275 filed against msp430mcu.
- #860277 filed against g2clib.
- #860278 filed against openigtlink.
- #860279 filed against xmlrpc-c.
- #860372 filed against hp-search-mac.
- #860373 filed against foxeye.
- #860374 filed against python-taskflow.
- #860384 filed against polygen.
Reviews of unreproducible packages
38 package reviews have been added, 111 have been updated and 85 have been removed in this week, adding to our knowledge about identified issues.
6 issue types have been updated:
- randomness_in_gcj_output: gcj is deprecated/dead
- records_build_flags, captures_build_path: we temporarily consider these non-deterministic, to better track the issue - the patches are still pending and statuses will keep changing as we upload patched packages.
- locale_in_documentation_generated_by_javadoc: seems to be fixed for every non-FTBFS package that it was affected by.
Development continued in git on the experimental branch:
- Don’t crash on invalid archives (#833697)
- Tidy up some other code
Weekly QA work
During our reproducibility testing, FTBFS bugs have been detected and reported by:
- Chris Lamb (3)
- Chris West (1)
This week’s edition was written by Ximin Luo, Chris Lamb & reviewed by a bunch of Reproducible Builds folks on IRC & the mailing lists.