What happened in the Reproducible Builds effort between June 5th and June 11th 2016:
GSoC and Outreachy updates
Weekly reports by our participants:
- Scarlett Clark worked on making some packages reproducible, focusing on KDE backend and utility programs.
published an initial design for the interface for
reprotest, including a discussion on different types of build variations and the difficulties of specifying certain types of variations.
- Valerie Young improved documentation for building our tests website, began migrating Debian-specific pages into a new namespace, and planned future work around its navigation.
Ximin Luo proposed a modification to our
Some upstream build tools (e.g. TeX, see below) have expressed a desire to control which cases of embedded timestamps should obey
SOURCE_DATE_EPOCH. They were not convinced by our arguments on why this is a bad idea, so we agreed on an environment variable
FORCE_SOURCE_DATEfor them to implement their desired behaviour - named generically, so that at least we can set it centrally. For more details, see the text just linked. However, we strongly urge most build tools not to use this, and instead obey
SOURCE_DATE_EPOCHunconditionally in all cases.
- TeX Live 2016 released
SOURCE_DATE_EPOCHsupport for all engines except LuaTeX and original TeX.
- Continued discussion
with TeX upstream, about
SOURCE_DATE_EPOCHcorner cases, eventually resulting in the
FORCE_SOURCE_DATEproposal from above.
- gcc-5/5.4.0-4 by Matthias Klose now avoids storing
DW_AT_producer, thanks to #819176 by Daniel Kahn Gillmor.
- sphinx/1.4.3-1 by Dmitry Shachnev now drops Debian-specific patches
SOURCE_DATE_EPOCHapplied upstream, #820895 by Alexis Bienvenüe.
- asciidoctor/1.5.4-2 by Cédric Boutillier now supports
SOURCE_DATE_EPOCH, thanks to #820435 by Alexis Bienvenüe.
- dh-python/1.5.4-2 by Piotr Ożarowski now behaves better in some cases, thanks to #804339 by Chris Lamb.
The following 16 packages have become reproducible due to changes in their build-dependencies: apertium-dan-nor apertium-swe-nor asterisk-prompt-fr-armelle blktrace canl-c code-saturne coinor-symphony dsc-statistics frobby libphp-jpgraph paje.app proxycheck pybit spip tircd xbs
The following packages had older versions which were reproducible, and their latest versions are now reproducible again after being fixed:
- excellent-bifurcation/0.0.20071015-8 by Vincent Cheng, #826427 by Reiner Herrmann.
- gnurobbo/0.68+dfsg-2 by Stephen Kitt, #826424 by Reiner Herrmann.
The following packages have become reproducible after being fixed:
- gdbm/1.8.3-14 by Matthias Klose, #774394 by Jérémy Bobbio.
- miceamaze/4.2.1-3 by Sarah COUDERT, #825634 by Reiner Herrmann.
- netcdf/1:4.4.1~rc2-1~exp3 by Bas Couwenberg.
- osmo-bts/0.4.0-2 by Ruben Undheim.
- pd-hcs/0.1-3 by IOhannes m zmölnig.
- pd-hid/0.7-2 by IOhannes m zmölnig.
- python-certbot/0.8.0-1 by Harlan Lieberman-Berg, #824452 by Chris Lamb.
- python-csb/1.2.3+dfsg-3 by Sascha Steinbiss.
- python-osprofiler/1.3.0-2 by Thomas Goirand.
- usb-modeswitch-data/20160112-3 by Didier Raboud, #826343 by intrigeri.
Some uploads have fixed some reproducibility issues, but not all of them:
- bzr/2.7.0-7 by Jelmer Vernooĳ.
- clanlib/1.0~svn3827-5 by Stephen Kitt, #790357 by Chris Lamb.
- dwarfutils/20160507+git20160523.9086738-1 by Fabian Wolff.
- fakeroot/1.20.2-2 by Clint Adams, #795861.
- fastqtl/2.184+dfsg-2 by Dylan Aïssi, #826209 by Chris Lamb.
- gnuplot/5.0.3+dfsg3-3 by Anton Gladky.
- lazarus/1.6+dfsg-3 by Paul Gevers.
- python-pygit2/0.24.0-3 by Ondřej Nový.
Patches submitted that have not made their way to the archive yet:
- #806331 against xz-utils by Ximin Luo: make the selected POSIX shell stable across build environments
- #806494 against gnupg by intrigeri: Make man pages not embed a build-time dependent timestamp
- #806945 against bash by Reiner Herrmann and Ximin Luo: Use the system man2html, and set PGRP_PIPE unconditionally.
- #825857 against python-setuptools by Anton Gladky: sort libs in native_libs.txt
- #826408 against brainparty by Reiner Herrmann: Sort object files for deterministic linking order
- #826416 against blockout2 by Reiner Herrmann: Sort the list of source files
- #826418 against xgalaga++ by Reiner Herrmann: Sort source files to get a deterministic linking order
- #826423 against kraptor by Reiner Herrmann: Sort source files for deterministic linking order
- #826431 against traceroute by Reiner Herrmann: Sort lists of libraries/source/object files
- #826544 against doc-debian by intrigeri: make the created files stable regardless of the locale
- #826676 against python-openstackclient by Chris Lamb: make the build reproducible
- #826677 against cadencii by Chris Lamb: make the build reproducible
- #826760 against dctrl-tools by Reiner Herrmann: Sort object files for deterministic linking order
- #826951 against slicot by Alexis Bienvenüe: please make the build reproducible (fileordering)
- #826982 against hoichess by Reiner Herrmann: Sort object files for deterministic linking order
68 reviews have been added, 19 have been updated and 28 have been removed in this week. New and updated issues:
26 FTBFS bugs have been reported by Chris Lamb, 1 by Santiago Vila and 1 by Sascha Steinbiss.
- Mattia Rizzolo uploaded diffoscope/54 to jessie-backports.
- Mattia uploaded strip-nondeterminism/0.018-1 to jessie-backports, to support a debhelper backport.
- Andrew Ayer uploaded strip-nondeterminism/0.018-2 fixing #826700, a packaging improvement for Multi-Arch to ease cross-build situations.
- 2 days later Andrew released strip-nondeterminism/0.019; now
strip-nondeterminism is able to:
- recursively normalize JAR files embedded within JAR files (#823917)
- clamp the timestamp, the same way tar >=1.28-2.2 can (for now available only for gzip archives)
- Valerie Young namespaced the Debian-specific pages to /debian/ namespace, with redirects to for the previous URLs.
- Holger Levsen improved the reliability of build jobs: the availability of both build nodes (for a given build) is now being tested when a build job is started, to better cope when one of the 25 build nodes go down for some reason.
- Ximin Luo improved the index of identified issues to include the total popcon scores of each issue, which is now also used for sorting that page.
Steven Chamberlain submitted a patch to FreeBSD’s makefs to allow reproducible builds of the kfreebsd installer.
Ed Maste committed a patch to FreeBSD’s binutils to enable determinstic archives by default in GNU ar.
This week’s edition was written by Ximin Luo, Chris Lamb, Holger Levsen, Mattia Rizzolo and reviewed by a bunch of Reproducible builds folks on IRC.