riseup notepad for facillitating feedback: FAQ Feedback
- https://wiki.debian.org/ReproducibleBuilds - should deprecate / eventually delete this
- https://tests.reproducible-builds.org/ - surprisingly hard to find yet it has the most interesting and current info, not just for Debian but other projects’ package sets
- what does a user need to know to make a package build reproducibly?
- what is a reproducible build?
- link to definition
- how do i make my software reproducible?
- how to avoid certain programming pitfalls?
- timestamps, etc. link to FAQ for upstream?
- package maintainers (Debian specific?)
- Definition for RB (to be defined)
Current status? no, it will get out of date quicker than anyone can update it
- Debian - 92% of source packages are reproducible (link to tests.r-b.o ?)
- FreeBSD - base is mostly ok, loader not, kernel not (but some patch/flag exists), ports (80% with external patch on the framework)
distro / project-specific pages!
- find a list of contacts for these projects and propose them to add information to the website or to send a link to their documentation,
also ask them to add a contact for RB who people can talk to
- Debian: https://lists.reproducible-builds.org/listinfo/rb-general, IRC: #debian-reproducible @ OFTC
- Coreboot: ask lynxis
- ElectroBSD: https://archive.fosdem.org/2016/schedule/event/electrobsd/
- FreeBSD: -> email alias or ML to be provided (reproducibility@FreeBSD.org)
- OpenWRT: ask lynxis
- Tails: Public development list: firstname.lastname@example.org
- don’t forget to copy and then remove current Debian wiki pages
Top level pages
- adding talks page! (most from debian), videos
- reproducible builds definition
- add bazel to tool page
FAQ sections (instead of personified personas, let’s ask concrete questions!)
introduction to faq: to add things/links that does fit into five sections
- “what is reproducible builds?”
- “what is the status of reproducible builds?”
- “why should I (as a user) care about reproducible builds?”
(single page so it is easier to search everything at once)
- I’m interested in verifying the reproducibility of software I use
- I’m interested in making reproducible software
- I’m interested in packaging/distributing software in a reproducible way
- But it still doesnt work! -> link to Currently unresolved issues
- What are the benefits of reproducible builds
- how can help with license compliance
- (take the work on use cases and side-benefits and put it here)
- I don’t think reproducible builds are actually useful
- here we need to answer all the questions like “I want to hardcode paths” etc.
- why can’t we just normalise the <build path, environment, dependencies, whatever>?
- I really like <timestamps, machine/person who built the binary>!
- how to build your how build farm?
Get involved page
- A “Get involved” page should be created
- it should link to Currently Unresolved Issues
- see https://wiki.debian.org/ReproducibleBuilds/Contribute for an out-of-date list of stuff we had before
1/ how to deal with compression tools?
- GZIP: use gzip -n
- how do I make (GZIP, etc…) give reproducible output? (section: projects)
2/ why is reproducibility important? * where do I get information for XYZ? (section: users)
3/ why using SOURCE_DATE_EPOCH and not simply set everything to 0 (epoch time) lots of build system will reject dealing with files that have a timestamp that old (we need concrete example (section: project)
4/ how to write reproducible code in specific languages - e.g. Rust, Go
- Python: Pyc files, PYTHONHASHSEED
- C: uninitialized memory (msan, asan), readdir order
- emacs bytecode
- how/who to contact for cross distro collaboration? answer: here!
- how to handle signatures in binaries
To be discussed
- Merge /tools to the documentation?
How to get involved?
- how to help various projects?
- how to help with documentation?
- how to help with outreach
- how can I sponsor the effort?
- OpenWrt/LEDE: video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1D706JCISw, slides: https://people.debian.org/~holger/2016-10-13-OpenWrt-Summit.pdf
- DebConf16: https://debconf16.debconf.org/talks/7/
- LibrePlanet: https://media.libreplanet.org/u/libreplanet/collection/beyond-reproducable-builds/
- where to find the tools
Follow us on Twitter @ReproBuilds, Mastodon @email@example.com & Reddit and please consider making a donation. • Content licensed under CC BY-SA 4.0, style licensed under MIT. Templates and styles based on the Tor Styleguide. Logos and trademarks belong to their respective owners. • Patches welcome via our Git repository (instructions) or via our mailing list. • Full contact info