diffoscope plans for the meeting
- Reviewing these Post-Its:
Improve Platform Support
- Portability to different platforms should improve. Some tools or used abstractions (like /dev/fd) might not be available.
- Support for distro-specific or uncommon file formats can be improved.
- The testsuite does not work everywhere (e.g. newer versions of software can break things, currently happens for Pascal). It should be more reliable.
Integrate debdiff & diffoscope
- Should we implement a flag in debdiff to call diffoscope?
- Should we replace debdiff with diffoscope completely? What features of debdiff would diffoscope still need?
- It’s not really clear what the post-it author wants.
Parallel diffoscope (#842837)
- Execution time is a serious issue, diffoscope should get faster.
- It is not clear how well parallel Python is going to work for diffoscope due to the global interpreter lock.
- Prior work by nomeata might exist somewhere.
- We should have a hack session on parallel diffoscope.
- https://try.diffoscope.org should be more well-known; it helpfully has a number of optional stuff for uncommon formats installed already.
- Get the word out for non-reproducibility use cases like comparing across versions for updates or due diligence before deployment.
- The bug tracking happens at the Debian bugtracker. That should be more visible. The website should have a “how to report bugs” section for people not familiar with the Debian bug tracker.
- Should diffoscope have a plugin mechanism to support other file formats that authors may not want to upstream?
- Should diffoscope output markdown?
- The output should be more accessible, e.g., for screen readers. Possibly to be implemented as a new output format.
What are Usability Issues with diffoscope?
- Output limits could lead to spending a lot of processing time and then still not getting usable output. Should all arbitrary limits be removed?
- Short command line options
- Write documentation on how to implement support for a file format
- Should diffoscope support excluding specific paths in archives to cut down runtime and ignore parts that are already known to differ?
- Should diffoscope support disabling support for specific file formats?
Automatic Classification of Reproducibility Issues in diffoscope
- Is this in scope for diffoscope? Should this be in a separate tool?
- This would require knowledge of the format and lead to much more complex file format support.
- This could be helpful in outputs, e.g. if an offset changes in an ELF binary you’d get lots of related changes that could otherwise be ignored
- lamby to open a bug for the output format accessibility
- Bapt to submit his FreeBSD patches upstream
- everyone to file tickets about portability problems
- Hacking parallel diffoscope
- Porting diffoscope
- diffoscope usability
- Documenting, marketing and undebianizing diffoscope
Follow us on Twitter @ReproBuilds and please consider making a donation. Content licensed under CC BY-SA 4.0, style licensed under MIT. Templates and styles based on the Tor Styleguide. Logos and trademarks belong to their respective owners. Patches welcome via our Git repository (instructions) or via our mailing list.